Rowing is considered the ultimate team sport. In rowing, all athletes in the boat must have one vision. They learn to work together: Athletes must trust each other to do the same thing at the same time or the boat won’t move well. They all must be committed and accountable and willing to put team success over individual success. These are skills that rowers can apply to all aspects of their adult life. In addition to teamwork skills there are many other benefits of rowing. (www.fossrowers.org)
- Total Body Workout – Rowing exercises all major muscle groups legs, arms, back, abdominal and buttocks. Legs provide most of the power of the rowing stroke; your upper body adds the rest. Rowing is one of the few aerobic activities that can actually strengthen your back.
- Greater Flexibility – Rowing exercises muscles through a wider range of motion than most other exercises, thereby improving and maintaining flexibility around some of the major joints. This also makes the exercise more satisfying because the rower has a sense of motion.
- Superior Conditioning – Rowing provides aerobic conditioning as well as strength conditioning.
- Burns Calories – Rowing is a great calorie burner. Recent research showed that rowing burns calories faster than biking at the same perceived level of exertion. In other words, it feels easier to burn more calories while rowing than while biking.
- Lifelong Pursuit – Rowing is a lifelong sport, able to be enjoyed by all ages, from kids to grandparents.
- Impact Free – Rowing is a smooth, rhythmic motion that is impact free.
- Versatile – Rowing is versatile: you can row indoors or out, on water or on land, competitively or not, intensely or easily.
- Time Efficient – Rowing is time efficient. It doesn’t take long to get a great workout that offers all of the features listed above.
- Fun! – Rowing is a complete exercise; the workout is satisfying and enjoyable to do, and provides a balance of fitness benefits. Rowing is Fitness for Life!!